Creating a mission statement
When it comes to creating a strategic business plan the first step you need to take is to create a mission statement. An effective mission statement captures the essence of the organisation and shows how you will achieve your vision. The mission statement should be specific to your organisation and set you apart from your competitors.
How to create a mission statement:
- Hold a mission consideration meeting
- This may be attended by managers, key employees, and stakeholders
- What is the purpose of the organisation?
- Who are we?
- What do we do?
- What do we stand for?
- Why do we do it?
- What are our defining characteristics?
- What products and/or services do we offer?
- What are we aspiring to achieve?
- What strategies are we undertaking?
- In groups create mind maps showing various mission statements and possible future descriptions. The mission statements should be concise and easy to understand
- Draft a shortlist of mission statements and share for feedback
- Finalise the mission statement and communicate it to all stakeholders
Once this step is completed the next stage you need to move onto is to create a vision statement.