Creating a vision statement
One of the most important stages in the business planning process is to create your vision statement. This statement shows who you are as an organisation and what the organisation aspires to become. A good vision statement can motivate people to be part of that vision and can make them feel committed to your organisation.
Involving others in process of creating the vision may bring in new ideas and will help them feel committed to the vision.
How to create a vision statement:
- Hold a visioning meeting (1-2 hours).
- This may be attended by managers, key employees and stakeholders.
- Consider what your organisation will be like in the future:
- What are we aspiring to achieve?
- What does success look like?
- In groups create mind maps showing various vision statements and possible future descriptions.
- Create a shortlist of vision statements and descriptions of the future, and share for feedback.
- Finalise the vision statement and communicate it to all stakeholders.
Once this step is completed the next stage you need to move onto is to discover the importance of values for your business.